There are many different types of accidents that may happen that lead to a personal injury case. Such accidents include car accidents, aircraft accidents, slip and fall accidents, etc. When deciding to file a claim the question often asked is whether a lawyer is necessary. This article will discuss whether or not it is necessary to have a lawyer when considering personal injury claim settlements.
Considering a Lawyer?
While the answer to this question may be yes or no, there are other circumstances that require thought or research. Even though it is best to take the time to speak to a personal injury lawyer most individuals do not. Even if doing so is possible by way of a free initial consultation. Some are unaware of taking this route before moving to the next stage.
A lawyer provides a variety of services for example:
- Filing all the necessary and complete documentation correctly
- Ensuring that claims are filed before the time restrictions of statutes of limitations bar a claim.
- Filing specific motions where the statute of limitations has expired.
Therefore, deciding if a lawyer is needed is often a start of the whole claims process. However, others may choose to get such representation during the settlement process.
When deciding on whether or not to hire a lawyer during settlement, all factors must be taken into consideration. For example:
- if the legal rights of the victim have been infringed upon – a legal professional is often the only way in which these are protected
- During settlement negotiations a lawyer is used to confer with another lawyer. This allows for compromise and the lawyer seeks the best possible amount of outcome for the victim. However, without legal representation this process may not happen.
- Where cases are unique, they require previous precedence to draw upon. As such, it requires someone with the knowledge and experience about the situation. A lawyer has the right capacity to draw from this precedence of understanding law. But if initiated by an individual only, it requires large amounts of time to figure out. Or to find the needed precedence if it can be found at all and understanding it.